7/28/2006

Lao Chang's Beef Noodle


Lao Chang bif nudl
Originally uploaded by Blowing Puffer Fish.
Last night, I was alone and didn't have any dates, so I went to nearby Yungkang Street for a walk.
As usual, the walk through Daan Park was still a pleasure. There is a ring for inline skating and there were many kids circling around it. I heard laughter and shouts from them. It reminded me of my own childhood. It was lonely and lonely. So different from the scenes I saw, the kids were having fun together and enjoyed themselves. It somehow made me feel melancholy. I am kind of sentimental, but it happens.
When I arrived the street, I was almost drenched by my own sweat. So i wanted to sit in an air-conditioned place and have something to eat. I originally planned to have Vietnamese food, but I didn't really feel want to. The beef noodle beside the YungKang Park was open, I was happy to have a boiling beef noodle there, but there was no air-conditioning. I halted in midway because I might sweat more, making the dinner an uncomfortable one. I needed something to cheer me up, so a good dinner was what I need. Finally, I decided to go the beef boodle shop I used to go several times. I was sure that the shop has great air-conditioning. When I was almost near the shop, I changed my mind. I wanted to go to the one beside it. It is called "Lao Chang's" (or Old Chang's), so I got in and sat down.
There was great air-condition, which cooled me down immediately. Friendly service and lively atmosphere. I ordered a spicy beef tendon noodle (there are three flavors to choose from: tomatoe soup, beef broth, and spicy soup) and a plate of pickles. In less than eight minutes, the noodle was on my table.
First, it looked good. With slices of beef and tendon and spicy oil and shrdded green onion. The only thing I have to complain is that there was too few the green onion. Then I tasted the soup. It was salty, but still retained the definite flavor of beef. I can taste the sweetness of beef and some seasonings in the soup. It's not greasy, when you stir the noodles and beef, the spicy oil just blended into the soup, so I am sure that there wasn't too much oil to spoil your stomach. The combination was just right, so in the end I almost gulged down every soup. I wouldn't do this in other place, because most of the beef soup is "too" salty and "too" greasy. One more thing to say is that I didn't add extra spice into it. Normally in other places, I would add extra spice, because it's not spicy enough. However, this bowl of noodle at Lao Chang's was just perfect. Third, which I though was a defect: the noodles. I though the noodles might be thick and hand-made. Unfortunately, it was not. The noodles are just noraml ones. It didn't add to the flavor of total dinning experience. From one to five stars, I would give three. But it's worth it.
Then, the dinning atmosphere. It was a little bit crowded, but acceptable. Customers seemed to be old firends. Everyone was satisfied with the amount of the noodles, some were having frentic talks, and some were there with families. I guessed eveyrone was satisfied with the taste of the noodle and happy. I found that young Taiwan people don't have many facial expressions. In contrast, the older people tend to smile more often and show their comments on the food they eat. That's another story. For myself, I loved the beef noodle and will come back soon for more!!

Lao Chang's information
No. 19, Alley 31, Section 2, Jingshan South Road, Taipei
(02)2396-0927
老張牛肉麵店
台北市金山南路二段31巷19號
(可從永康街貨麗水街往金華國小活動中心方向)

No comments: